Taking prozac for depression, anxiety. How long does it take for prozac to show effect?

Hello doctor i am currently taking 20mg prozac perday since 9 days for mild depression and social/general anxiety. I have seen very little effect of the medicine as of now. I wanted to ask you how long should i wait to see the effects of the medicine and how long should i continue it ?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 14 minutes later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Mild depression and anxiety will take some time at least 6 month for complete recovery. Dose schedule is quite long for such cases at least 3 months. You need to consult good counsellor for mental relaxation therapy
Mental exercise will help to decrease drugs and it dose. Hope you are taking medicine after consulting board certified physician. If you feel symptoms free in future then also for few days medicine should continue to maintain blood level of hormone.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Follow-up: Taking prozac for depression, anxiety. How long does it take for prozac to show effect? 51 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I will continue this medicine for a month n half n c if it effects me. Also doctor can i have beer once a week on this medicine ?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
If want to consume beer then keep it to once a week or less with minimum amount. Otherwise it will cross react with medicines. However it will be highly appreciable if you avoid alcohol.