Taking prozac and rhinatidine. Test should raised GGT level. Is this due to medication?

I just recieved my lab work for life insurance and all is normal except for for my ggt is 175. I am on prozac and rhinatidine. Could this be the culprit?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 58 minutes later

GGT is an marker of liver lesions, but rare asked alone. The GGT test is sometimes used to help detect liver disease and bile duct obstructions. It is usually ordered in conjunction with or as follow up to other liver tests such as ALT, AST, ALP, and bilirubin. Increased levels of GGT levels may indicate in general that the liver is being damaged but does not specifically point to a condition that may be causing the injury. While elevated GGT levels may be caused by liver disease, they may also be caused by alcohol consumption and/or other conditions, such as congestive heart failure.

In your case , we have isolated elevated levels of GGT. This is almost exclusively seen only in chronic drinkers or does with alcohol abuse. If you take a lot of alcohol, this might explain raised isolated GGT levels. If you do not consume or take chronically a lot of alcohol, it would be worth doing the test again. Its may be due to an error in doing the test.

Preferable redo the test.

Hope this helps as I wish you the best.
Best regards and feel free asking further questions if need be,

Luchuo, MD.