Taking pristiq for severe anxiety. Experiencing phantosmia. Could phantosmia be a side effect of desvenlafaxine?

Could phantosmia be a side effect of long term use of desvenlafaxine? Have been on pristiq (to treat a severe anxiety disorder) for four years with terrific results. No bad side effects, just very lucid dreaming. In the last few months have experienced distressing phantosmia, though this did coincide with periods of changing dose as I have gone off the drug, slowly, twice in this time.
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Less likely due to desvenlafaxine.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Phantosmia does not caused by long term use of Desvenlafaxine, even it is helpful in reducing symptoms of phantosmia.

It is difficult to tell exact cause of phantosmia without examination and investigation.

In your case following are possible causes of phantosmia in following hierarchy:
-Recurrence of anxiety and depressive symptoms after stoppage of desvenlafaxine.
-Vitamins specially B12 deficiency
-Impending age related illness like: Parkinson disease and dementia
-Some allergic rhinitis also present as bad smell (if present).

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.