Taking primolut n. Started getting light period and then stopped. When will I get my normal period?

Mar 2013

I was taking primolut n to induce a period. It came 4 days later, was extremely light, and seems to have stopped now on the second day. I have not had a period in over 2 months so the prescribing doctor said to expect a very heavy and lengthy period. When i used to get normal periods they were quite heavy. He also said I need to take a blood test on day 3. Will day 3 be tomorrow? Is this extremely light period normal?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Yes, day 3 would be considered tomorrow.
Normally, Primolut is given to induce a withdrawal bleeding.
When normal periods are delayed, the lining of the uterus thickens and builds up, and then after taking Primolut, which is progesterone, to induce bleeding, periods are heavy when this lining is shed off.
The light period is not normal, and it's not normal to require progesterone for withdrawal bleeding.
You need to get yourself investigated for delayed periods.
Stress, anxiety, emotional upheaval, rapid fluctuations in weight, recent hectic travelling , ingestion of hormonal medications - all are potential reasons.
Poly cystic ovarian disease or hyperplasia of the endometrium can also cause this.
Thyroid hormone disorders, high prolactin levels need to be ruled out.
Please get this entire assessment done .

Consult your Gynecologist to have the workup done, and for proper clinical examination and ultrasound of the pelvis.

Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Taking primolut n. Started getting light period and then stopped. When will I get my normal period? 26 minutes later
So why would I have such a light withdrawal bleed? Does that mean that the lining has not shead or the lining did not build up in the first place? I am very confused and anxious about my condition
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
It could mean either of the two.
Inadequate formation of lining so that is is so scanty that when shed it causes light bleeding
Or too thick a lining which is yet to shed off.
Only an ultrasound can differentiate.