Taking prilosec for GERD. Is it safe to take ranitidine along?

Hello. I am currently taking prilosec (omeprazole 20mg) every morning to treat GERD. I have about 10 more days. I would also like to take zantac (ranitidine 150mg) every night. Is it safe to take omeprazole in the morning and ranitidine at night?
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is safe Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query You can take ranitidine in the night, there is no contraindication for it. Ranitidine is a weaker antigastric agent than omeperazole. One good alternative would be to take omeprazole in the morning and at night. I would like to add here that if your symptoms are not getting relieved with omeprazole you could take esomeprazole instead, it is a stronger and a longer acting agent than omeprazole, you would also add on a pro kinetic like a domperidone once in the morning. I hope I was of help, if you have further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards