Taking prednisone for sudden hearing loss. Found raise in BP. Could it be due to medicine?

I have been on prednisone for sudden hearing loss for about 8 days. When I visited my Ears, Nose and Throat doctor my blood pressure was 160/80. Would Prednisone cause this type of elevated BP?
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 23 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

YES, it can; it very often does raise the pressure.
It also has some other side effects!

Prednisone (all Steroids) has several side effects / bad effects.
But it is also an excellent drug in certain situations, like yours.
It is like a double edged sword - good in the hands of the one, using properly.

You may need it only for a short term.
The benefits far outweigh the risks.

You need to be followed up by your Internist.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Taking prednisone for sudden hearing loss. Found raise in BP. Could it be due to medicine? 9 minutes later
Is 160/80 a XXXXXXX B/P when taking into account I've been on Prednisone and under stress due to the overall hearing loss? It's been weighing on my mind and as mentioned I've never had high B/P before. Will the B/P return to normal levels once I'm completely weaned off. I have one more day of taking 1/2 of a 20
Mg pill. As I tapering off the prednisone I have excessive tiredness and some overall anxiousness; it's only been a short time on the drug but are these things normal?
Thank you for your thoughts
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 28 minutes later

This elevation is mild / has no immediate danger.

It may return to normal. It is not possible to predict. It generally does.
At this age, it may also be a co-incidence, detected during this time.
Keep following it.

Prednisone often causes sense of well being / euphoria...Hence some anxiety and tiredness may be there on stopping. However, if the tiredness is excessive, you need to check sugar and electrolytes.