Taking prednisone and tramadol for gout. Have kidney disease. Should I go for scenar treatment?

Dec 2012

Re gout my son in law has very bad gout and is taking 3X60MG PREDNISONE, 7X50G TRAMADOL PER DAY + Panadol and normal bp meds, he has a kidney disease unsure of type, at this stage he is depressed, not getting any sleep, I feel all these med's are not good for him, and have heard about the SCENAR TREAMENT, can you give your advice.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Thanks for posting on HCM
If it is already confirmed that he has gout (both by clinical evaluation and laboratory findings) then appropriate treatment with antigout medication such as allopurinol to reduce uric acid levels and colchicine as antiinflammatory will be well indicated and have proven to be very effective against gout. Normally the above medications are good enough for pain management of other causes, but when it comes to gout, they might prove inefficient and your son will have to be managed with antigout medications. Another alternative is that, at the emergency room, they can give directly on the site of gouty inflammation injection of a corticosteroid then manage the pain later with appropriate antigout medications.
Placing of ice pack and finding a security position (which reduces the pain) are the initially steps to take.
SCENAR treatment is a bioelectric management of pain with SCENAR equipments but is not yet a widely accepted and well known method. Discuss with your doctor to find out if that is available in your region and can be used as an alternative option.
I looked through his medical history and per your description I believe your son has polycystic kidney diseases (PCKD) which when at advanced stage can cause kidney failure hence gouty crisis. Kidney failure significantly correlates with gout. There are no readily available treatment options for PCKD and most are still under clinical trials.

I suggest you let your son in law consult with a urologist or a nephrologist for this issue.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah