Taking prednisone and benadryl for hives. What are harmful effects of long term use of the steroid prednisone?

This is XXXX in Albuquerque. Thanks for keeping touch with me Dr. K. I am still taking prednisone and Benadryl for hives. I have started to taper the steroid from 40 ml 35 ml. Have you ever see the steroid cure a hive condition? What are harmful effects of long term use of the steroid prednisone? I am doing better-but-not healed completely yet.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steroids help in refractory urticaria

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
As I had mentioned in my previous discussion, steroids are prescribed when urticaria is not responding to oral antiallergics.
Steroids are added in tapering doses and its good that you have started tapering your steroid dose. As I had stressed in our previous discussion too , take a combination of oral antiallergic like cetrizine two times in a day with Benadryl in night or it can also be taken twice in a day depending upon the response achieved. This would offer better control of the disease. Steroids definitely help in urticaria. So be assured intake of oral steroid in your case too would prove to be beneficial.
As far as side effects of prednisolone are concerned, it can lead to acidity, gastric ulcer, raised blood pressure, raised blood sugar, weak bones etc. These side effects occur when steroid is taken for a long period of time. In your case too, I would advise that steroid should be tapered to lowest possible dose in two to three weeks time.

To prevent gastric side effects usually an antacid like ranitidine is prescribed. Ranitidine has a role in urticaria prevention too. Similarly to prevent weak bones one can take calcium and vitamin d supplements if required. As such your attending doctor will keep a check on all these side effects so you need not worry.

Hope this helped.
Follow-up: Taking prednisone and benadryl for hives. What are harmful effects of long term use of the steroid prednisone? 44 minutes later
Nice answer.
I will do your suggestions and talk with my local doctor.
I may update you in the future. Are you good for that?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
I shall be available for follow up

Detailed Answer:
Like I said earlier, I shall be available for further follow up.
Wishing you speedy recovery and good health.