Taking prednisolone for the inflammation of tonsils. Side effects? Weight gain likely?

hi im taking predisolone for the inflammation on my tonsils its 20mg 3 day one, 2 pills day 2, 1 pill for day 3 i wanna know the side effect.. will i really get weight gain.. i do take herbal laxatives once a month ..
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 4 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Prednisolone is a steroid drug which prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation and undoubtedly it causes weight gain at higher doses. Kindly don't get alarmed as you have been advocated a trivial dose which should not cause weight gain and even if it does, it will be inconspicuous.

Just take the medications as advised, do not stop taking it suddenly without the consent of your Doctor, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

The side effects may include headache, dizziness, nausea, stomach pain, acne, dry skin and weight gain.

Hope my answer has done justice to the query put forward by you. Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.