Taking prednisolone for skin allergy. Experiencing light headedness like going to pass out. Should I continue this medication?

I'm taking prednisolone 5mgx2 a day for a skin allergy of some 5months duration. Have been on this medication for 9 days and am experiencing light headedness over the last 3 days. Felt like going to pass out at one point yesterday. Should I continue with this medication as it is not a drug to cease abruptly. I'm a 55 year old female and take no other medication other than remifemin. Thank you for your advice .
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ali Ismayilov 1 hour later
Hello and Welcome,

Based on the information you provided, I am strongly prone to think that your symptoms (lightheadedness) is due to Remifemin, NOT prednisolone.

Remifemin is the extract of Actaea racemosa (also known as Back Cohosh). Common side effects of black cohosh include headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, constipation, low blood pressure and many more.

Prednisolone does not have side effect similar to the ones you are experiencing.

So, my suggestion is to stop or at least decrease the dosage of Remifemin and observe for a few days. Then, if your symptoms persist, I would advise you to see the doctor who prescribed you the Prednisolone in order to stop/decrease dosage/replace this medication.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

A. Ismayilov, MD