Taking percacet. How does it alter functions of mind and emotions?

When taking percacet how does it alter your functions of mind and emotions. I got into two car accidents within a two hour period after taking the drug. I took the pill 4pm and had accidents in 2-3 hours later. What are the side effects other then relieving pain?
I did not have much to eat that day no lunch and had very little sleep the night before does this also have contributed to a bad responce when taking percacept?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 1 hour later
Hi XXXXX! Thank you for your question and welcome to our site.

Oh my! I hope you are alright! Did you suffer any injury due to the two car accidents?

Percocet is a combination of acetaminophen and oxycodone. Oxycodone belongs to the opioid class of drugs while acetaminophen is a less potent pain reliever that actually increases the effects of oxycodone. This drug is used to manage moderate to severe pain.

Yes, you are correct that in thinking that there may be some side effects other than pain relief. Becuase oxycodone is an opioid (others call them narcotics), it can impair thinking and delay reaction times. It is also habit forming so this drug should be kept secure and used only by the person it was prescribed for.

Together with your empty stomach and lack of sleep, percocet may have actually potentiated the delays in reaction time and thought processes. I would strongly suggest that you DO NOT drive or operate any machinery while taking this medicine until you are familiar with its effects on you. Furthermore, please do not drink alcohol while taking this drug as the acetaminophen in percocet can react with the alcohol and damage your liver. Also, if you suffered any injuries due to your accidents - minor or otherwise - please do not hesitate to have them checked by medical personnel to be sure that you are well and ok. During this period, try as much as possible to sleep at least 6-8 hours and to eat a healthy and balanced diet.

I hope I was able to address your concerns adequately. If you have any other questions, I will be happy to help. If not, you may close the discussion and rate the answer. Take care and I wish you well!

Dr. Galera