Taking penicillin VK tablets for tonsillitis. Can I take alcohol?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi, I've got tonsillitis and have been prescribed with a week's worth of penicillin VK tablets. I'm going to a mate's birthday party tonight and was wondering if I can have any alcohol at all? Or should I stick to carbonated drinks?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 26 minutes later
Drinking alcohol in moderate amount will not have any drug interaction or effects while on treatment with Penicillin VK.
As such there are no contraindications for simultaneous intake of alcohol and penicillin vk.
However you should limit your intake to a minimum and also have adequate food with it or you may have gastrointestinal upset or diarrhoea while taking antibiotics like penicillin.
Also since you are suffering from upper respiratory infection like tonsillitis, your body immunity has to be strong to fight the infection with the help of medications, so a healthy diet, avoidance of alcohol or caffeinated beverages, taking plenty of water, good oral hygiene and warm saline throat gargles are recommended.