Taking penicillin. Noticed strings and mucus in stool. Family history of colon cancer. Suggestion?

Hello, today I had a BM which contained stringy, pink/orangish mucous. I do not have any abdominal pain, but have a family history of colon cancer. I have had mucous before but not regularly and not this color. I am taking Penicillin for bronchitis and Sprintec birth control. I also take a multivitamin. I am a 21 year old female.
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 17 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
Do not panic.
Keep a close watch on your BM.
If the stool persists to be such... go for a stool examination to detect blood in the stool.
Take lots of fluids and fibre in the diet.
Antibiotics can cause altered stool so keep a close watch on your stool.
There should be no reason why you should fear of cancer at this time.
Conslut your doctor about screening for GI cancers later on.
Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Follow-up: Taking penicillin. Noticed strings and mucus in stool. Family history of colon cancer. Suggestion? 6 minutes later
After my this BM I had another (approximately 1 hour later) that was normal without mucous but was very long. I think I was emotionally worked up. If I have had mucous before, could that be indicative of disease or cancer? Why is it now pinkish/orange instead of white or clear? Could the color of the mucous be blood?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 minutes later
Now that you have a normal not worry...
Blood can be only acertained if you do a stool test.
Mucus is generally secreted with stool.I think there is no reason to worry.
This is not indicative of cancer.
Keep your cool.