Taking pause for heavy bleeding. Papsmear normal. Suspected for adetonomous polyp. Cancer?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Hi, my mother's age is 43 years. She is suffering from heavy bleeding from last 3 years. But she is having regular periods, for every 25 days she gets her periods. If she takes PAUSE 500mg 2 tablets for 2 days, flow is getting controlled. Every year she is been tested for Papsmear. Results are normal. One year back she has been undergone D&C, to find out the reason for heavy flow. In reports, they suspect some adetonomous polyp.

Now my question is, is that polyp dangerous? Any chances of getting cancer? Is it better having a hystrectomy? OR can she go for MARINE process? Any disadvantages becaz of marine? If she goes for hystrectomy overies should be removed or not?

Please advise. We are in a confused state. Waiting for the reply......
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 7 hours later

Adenomatous polyp is benign condition which causes excessive bleeding. It is not XXXXXXX in a sense it is not cancer. The risk of getting cancer is as per general population.

At present there is no need of hysterectomy. There is no need to remove ovaries as hysterectomy is not indicated (and if ovaries are normal)

Mirena is indicated in patients with endometrial hyperplasia and your mother is also not a candidate for this.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.