Taking paracetamol for back pain. Have diabetes. Lumbago MRI normal. Suggest medicine for relief

Dear Sir,

kindly note am patient of diabetic since 10 year taking Metformin 850 twice aday with Sitaligiptin 50 mg ,my sugar value is normal,walk daily since 4-5 km,my PCI carried out 2008 deployed 3.5 mm dia length 33 mm Cypher Select my lipid level is ok 3.2 ratio,medicine taking Statin 20mg,Bezafibrate 300 mg Asprin 75 mg,blood thiner 75 mg,Divon 80 mg,Concor 5 mg.
I have severe pain backach since 3 years ,some physician called Lumbago MRI carried out its normal,if can sit with out any support than after feel severe pain,am taking simple Parcetaamol for the same but no avail feel rihinits when up right,kindly advise any good medicines to cure this pain no gel suits or spray give relief,my age is 58 years .

Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Chronic musculo skeletal pain specially back pain is a troublesome problem for diabetic patients especially who are on metformin therapy. You are on metformin therapy 850 mg twice a day.

Its possible that your symptoms are caused by subacute combined degeneration of the cord which can lead to this condition. So its very essential for you to estimate serum vitamin B12 level. I think it will be low or in the lower normal range. Many a times MRI cannot detect SACD in its early stage which is your case. So please do an estimation of serum vit B12 and if low please take folic acid tablets and methylcobalamin supplementation after consulting your treating doctors.

Again vertebral osteomyelitis and epidural abscess are uncommon causes of backache but may have a prediliction for patients with diabetes. I dont know when your MRI was done. If its 1-2 months before you can have a repeat MRI of your lumbosacral region.

All these are possible causes of backache in a known diabeic patient which remain undiscovered many a times.

You can try tramadol along with folic acid, multivitamin and thiocolchicoside tablets daily for some symptomatic relief. But you must consult your doctor and discuss those which I told you. I am sure you will be benefitted.

Hope i have answered your queries. If you have more queries you freely can write back to me. I am always here to help you.

If you dont have any queries further you can close the discussion here and i will be highly obliged if you kindly write a review on my answer.

Wish you quick recovery. God bless ypu.

Dr Arnab Maji