Taking oxycodone to conceive. Does it affect fertility?

Question
Doc
I am currently taking oxycodone 30 mg and me and my wife are trying to have a baby. Will the pain meds effect us in any way. Does it effect my fertility. Pls help me out here
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Oxycodone is a drug that currently falls under category B of the FDA classification which indicates -

"Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester."

Hence, I find no reason as to why this drug should affect your unborn baby and even during entire pregnancy. And it should be safe otherwise.

But, you should also report the same to your prescribing physician who has given you oxycodone just to be right on your end.

The only risk associated is the possibility that if the person taking oxycodone (mother) - it may pass through breast milk and may harm the baby.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.

Follow-up: Taking oxycodone to conceive. Does it affect fertility? 4 hours later
Thank you for your response however my question is will it effect the males sperm in any way. Does it effect the males sperm count or the ability to get a woman pregnant on the Males end not the woman

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 10 hours later
Thanks for the followup and concerns.

Currently, the potential effects of Oxycodone on male fertility (and also female) has not been evaluated.

And there are no reported patients with decreased sperm count and infertility using this drug.

Let me know if you have additional queries.