Taking oxerate tablets. Got seizure failure and sleep disorder. Should I decrease the medicine dose?

Question
I am taking oxerate tablets since last 9 years,I got 2 seizure failure .last seizure I got 33 months back :-shall I decrease now the dose,I am taking 450mg night,300mg morning,I am facing huge sleep disorder for that I am taking sometime nexito forte,pl advise .when can I stop the medicen or decrease,what is solution of sleep disorder,I know it is side effect of oxerate
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 2 hours later
Thanks for the query,
Oxrate (Oxcarbazepine) can cause dizziness, drowsiness, blurred or double vision, fatigue and may cause headaches, nausea, and vomiting. It can also cause insomnia in some percentage of patients. Hence, your sleep disorder is most probably a side effect of the drugs.
With a good control of seizure in the last 33 months,a gradual decrease in the dose can be safely done. Some neurologist prefer to do a EEG before they start tapering the anti-epileptic drugs. I would advise you to consult a neurologist to discuss issues regarding tapering of oxrate tablet.
Hope this answers your query,
Dr Nilofer AR

Follow-up: Taking oxerate tablets. Got seizure failure and sleep disorder. Should I decrease the medicine dose? 3 hours later
I had 4 times reg which is perfect ok,I am taking some time nexotoforte 5 mg,I am getting relief in my sleep disorder,can u suggest me shall I take 300mg operate in night also instead of 450 grams.thanx

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 32 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.
You can start reducing the dose of Oxrate and can take 300 mg in the night. However, I sincerely feel that you should do it under supervision of a neurologist.
Hope this answers your query.
Dr Nilofer AR