Taking omeprazole for burping problem. Getting strange colored stool. Thyroid test normal. Cause?

Good

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi Doctor, I have a thyroid condition & for a few weeks or more had flu like symptoms & was feeling very low. Over a couple of weeks ago I started burping & having lots of wind down below more than usual. I went to the doctors & was prescribed Omeprazole. My bowels beforehand were sparce & very smelly. Since taking this drug my bowels are still smelly & one minute they are a mustardy colour & the next they go a bit darker, but not a proper motion. My bowel test last year came back normal. My thyroid test also came back normal too. My mind is playing tricks & I'm thinking the worse. I have to take this drug for another 2 weeks & go see my dr. I'm dreading it!
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and i am pleased to answer your query.

The symptoms you have, could be probably due to malabsorption which probably would have resulted due to a stomach bug.

In addition to omeprazole, take probiotics and simethicone.
If the symptoms persists, you may have to consult a gastroenterologist for a malabsorption workup.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Taking omeprazole for burping problem. Getting strange colored stool. Thyroid test normal. Cause? 1 hour later
What does malabsorption workup consist of. I was lead to believe that I had too much acid in my stomach. Than you for your assistance. Much appreciated!

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 23 minutes later
It includes blood test, stool test, breath test, endoscopy etc.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Taking omeprazole for burping problem. Getting strange colored stool. Thyroid test normal. Cause? 21 minutes later
I do eat onken yoghurts on a regular basis which contain live cultures. So that probably knocks the stomach bug out of the equation. I'm a very nervous person doctor & have been at at a low ebb for a while. My hubby had similar symptoms & died 17 months ago & received a late diagnosis which ended up him dying in bad circumstances concerning the hospital where he died. He had an endescope done & everything went wrong from there. I hope you can understand my anxiety & concern as I find it hard to put my trust in the NHSanymore. Thank you for your assistance.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 minutes later
I understand your anxiety.
If the symptoms persist you, may have to undergo the tests I have mentioned.

If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini