Taking omeprazole for acid reflux. Test showed high bilirubin level. What is causing this?

I just had a health screen at work and my bilirubin level came back at 9.4. It was at 1.5 last year. I feel fine and the only difference I can think of is I have started taking omeprazole for acid reflux. Could that be causing this? I went in for additional blood work today. Any other thoughts as my doctor didn't seem to have much input for me? Looking online I can't even find examples that high.
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Many persons have an asymptomatic liver disease called Gilbert's syndrome where the bilirubin levels are normally 2-5mg/dl and can go up intermittently with stress and dehydration and return back to the basal levels without treatment or without causing any symptoms.
Omeprazole is a bland drug but it can cause liver dysfuntion sporadically and idiosyncratically.
You can switch to Ranitidine for you acid reflux, improve your hydration status and get a repeat liver function test in 7days along with peripheral blood smear and LDH levels to detect if there is any hemolysis as a cause for raised bilirubin.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.