Taking omeprazole for acid reflux. Have burping and sweating problem. Is this cardio related problem?

Jan 2013

I have acid reflux and take omeprazole. The dose has not changed but the color of capsule has. Since it did I have been having bouts of severe gagging and burping. Also today broke out in heavy sweating. I have been eating cereal with milk every morning. Yesterday did not eat that and did not have the problem. I am going on the assumption this is digestive but saw something that said it could be cardio related
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 46 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated details along with mentioned.
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ gargling sound in abdomen/ abdominal bloating after taking meals?
Does you have retrosternal burning pain causing difficulty in swallowing?
What medicine are you taking for control of blood pressure?

With the available described details, there appears to be possibility of peptic ulcer disease causing acid reflux and decreased gastrointestinal motility.
Acid reflux and heart ailment has almost same symptoms and appears to be similar bur peptic ulcer disease are entirely different disease.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, ultrasound imaging, thyroid profile, blood sugar, x XXXXXXX abdomen and serum electrolytes.
You should also go for endoscopy along with biopsy.

You should also go for urea breathe test for H. Pylori.
If Urea breathe test is found to be positive then you have to take complete eradication therapy for H. Pylori bacteria.

Omerprazole is the weakest proton pump inhibitor and best one are Rabeprazole and Esmoprazole.

You should follow the mentioned changes:
1) Don't take tomatoes, and citrus fruits.
2) Avoid onion, garlic, excessive tea and coffee, chocolates,
3) Avoid oily and spicy food, non veg.
4) Take soft diet along with yogurt.
5) Keep difference of 3 hours between meals and sleep.
6) Avoid tight fitting clothes.
7) You should perform increased physical activity of at least 3-4 km/day.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava