Taking olmesartan. Feeling tired and pressure in head. Is this normal?

Question
I have been taking Olmesartan for the past week and I have been feeling very very tired, general unwell feeling, head pressure, is this normal when starting this drug?
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 16 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is not ‘normal’ on starting the drug
It is a side effect and it is not common

Give the benefit of doubt and change the drug – there are several classes of drugs and several drugs in each class... See your doctor...

Also have routine tests like electrolytes, kidney function and blood counts...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Taking olmesartan. Feeling tired and pressure in head. Is this normal? 3 minutes later
I have tried Ramipril, irbesartan, losartan, pendropril and all give me side effects, I also tried a directic but had increased Uris acid. Would you recommend a drug that might not give me side effects?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 11 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The first drugs are either Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitor (ACEI) or Angiotensin Receptor Blocking drugs (ARB)
The next one is a diuretic.

Try calcium channel Blockers (CCB – like felodipine or amlodipine)
You may also try Beta Blockers (like nebivolol or Metoprolol)
Do not start by yourself...discuss with your doctor...get appropriate prescription...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Taking olmesartan. Feeling tired and pressure in head. Is this normal? 1 hour later
I have tried a CCB and again had side effects. Is it worth trying a different ACE! Say Lisinopril?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
It is mostly class effects - individual differences are not much / changing to a different drug in the same class may not help in most occasions...
Try Beta blockers...
Try a different diuretic - small dose of aldactone / frusemode in combination..