Taking olanzapine for schizopernia. Is there any medicine to improve language fluency and memory?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi Doctor

I am a indian, I was diagnosed for schizopernia 10 years back and on 5mg Olanzapine, My question to you is , is there a medicine which can help with language fluency , may sound stupid question , but I am in such a profession which require me to be professionally good communicator in English Language, I Know practice makes man perfect , I just cannot recollect appropriate word at times , may be my poor memory.

Presently my language fluency is below average , is there a way I can improve my fluency ? Also I have asked my psychiatrist about it , but they just ignore about , it would be side effect of the anti psychotic.

Please let me know your opinion and also if I can try some medicine ? pros and cons of it.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 12 minutes later
Hello........
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with poor fluency of speech. As you already mentioned, antipsychotics like olanzapine affects fluency/spontaneity of speech as well as thinking. It also affects fluency of speech. I would suggest use of anti-cholinergic medication liker trihexyphenidyl to reduce slurring. Also speech and linguistic therapist who generally function under ENT specialist can help you out. Try to clarify anything else you may want to in the follow up question.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Taking olanzapine for schizopernia. Is there any medicine to improve language fluency and memory? 2 hours later
Thanks Doctor for Feedback , I have tried Pacitane 2 mg but it makes the symptoms more worse ? Is there any specific brand which I need to look for ? Also I have heard a herb named Ginkoba Biloba ? Is it advised to take it ? How safe it is , Will it go well with Olanzapine ? Also I have heard it increases blood pressure , Insomania , Headache etc, but its benefit is far more better on memory and intelligence improvement than side effects. Please Suggest if it can help ? and if yes what does I need to start ? and additional medicine which can help with the side effects of Ginkoga Biloba.

Please suggest.
Thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later
Hello
If your speech difficulty is due to the so called extra pyramidal side effects of olanzapine then pacitane can worsen the same. gingko biloba is a reasonably safe drig to improve cognitive impairment. It has better benefits than side effects. So you can try the same safely. However chances of benefit might be less than thirty to forty percent.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Taking olanzapine for schizopernia. Is there any medicine to improve language fluency and memory? 22 minutes later
Thanks Doctor , What is the Dose I need to start ? and any specific brand which I need to look for while buying ? If not Ginkoba , which else do you feel is the safe options which I can try ? also it will not increase the Psychotic symptoms right?

Thanks in advance
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Gingko biloba comes in trade name if bioloba and you can continue at 50 mg per day. Other alternatives are rivastigmine and donepezil which I would not recommend at this stage. It will not increase your psychotic symptoms.
Dr Sundar