Taking novelon for irregular period. Should I take ECP after having sex?

Mar 2016

hello doctor. i am 19 years old. My periods were irregular. i got 3 periods in the month of january. so my doctor prescribed me NOVELON. i did start my 1st pack of Novelon on 2nd of feb and it did end on 22nd feb. my periods came on 27th of feb and ended on 1st march. again i started my 2nd pack on 3rd march and it will end on 23rd of march. expected date of my periods is 26th or 27th march. but i am supposed to have sex on 27th of march with my partner. we will also use a condom. i will delay my periods by continuing Novelon till 27th march.. So, should i take the emergency pill the very next day of having sex i.e. on 28th march? what i know 27th march is my safe period. The emergency pill will alter my periods but i cant take the risk of being pregnant by not taking the emergency pill. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT SHOULD I DO? i have told you everything.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 26 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, protected sex around expected due date of period with using condom is very much safe and there is no chance of pregnancy literally.

Pregnancy depends on proper timing of unprotected sex and ovulation time which occurs approx 14 days before expected due date.

As you are on NOVELON contraceptive pill and get your period in time last month, then you have nothing to worry this month also.

NOVELON is combined OCP and very much effective (around 99.9%) against unwanted pregnancy if it is taken regularly as per schedule whether emergency pill only gives 95% protection if it is taken within 24 hrs.

Therefore, I suggest you not to take emergency pill additionally and using condom is sufficient in your case.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and enjoy your sex without any stress.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Taking novelon for irregular period. Should I take ECP after having sex? 8 minutes later
Thankyou doctor. :-) but what if i don't get my periods start after 4-5 days (as i will use novelon till 27th ) after having intercourse and i get pregnant? i cant tell my parents or any doctor... it is his birthday and i don't want to upset him. tell me the name of any abortion pill so that i can take it if i don't get my normal periods on time..because i cant take the risk. i hope you will understand my problem... and as per my information which i did provide you.. my expected date of ovulation is 10th of march.. the ovum will survive for 1 day only then what will happen to it? and during sex, if condom breaks or any mishappening occur without our knowledge then what should i do? it is my first time. please make me ready and unstressed..
Answered by Dr. S Patra 49 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query. I am happy to help you.

I have already told you that there is no chance of pregnancy at all around period due date as you will involve in sexual intercourse in safe period (27th March).

Using condom is just an additional protection from STD or any type of infection. So, in that time period, breaking condom is not getting you pregnant.

As you will continue pill till 27th March, then your period date may alter and withdrawal bleeding, same to period, will occur within 7-10 days.

After ovulation, ovum only survive 24-36 hrs and after that, there is no chance of fertilization. So, you stop thinking about that and just hope for positive thing.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Taking novelon for irregular period. Should I take ECP after having sex? 11 minutes later
THANKYOU again... but still i am little bit afraid.. so please tell me the name of any abortion pill... as it is my first time so i have no idea about anything... and anything else i should take care of?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 32 minutes later

Thanks again for query.

Don't be afraid as first time sex is always full of nervousness and new excitement.

As you will involve in sex around safe period, you will get time to enjoy sex with your boyfriend without any stress.

Abortion pill (like MT Pill) is only to be taken after confirmation of pregnancy and not before that and always under supervision of gynecologist to avoid excessive vaginal bleeding (may occur). Though, in your case, it is unlikely.

Things to be taken care of as follows:

1) First time sex may be painful. You may use some water based lubrication in such case.
2) Mild bleeding may occur following sex and it is mostly due to hymen rupture. You need not to be afraid as bleeding will stop automatically.
3) Use condom to avoid Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) or any type infection.
4) Proper cleaning & washing of genitalia before & after sexual intercourse.
5) You must urinate after sex to avoid urinary infection. Also maintain personal hygiene after that.

Hope, I have clarified everything that you have asked. Now, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

You can directly consult with me by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question".

Be well and enjoy your first sex without any stress.

Dr Soumen.