Taking norvasc, coreg and crestor. Can they cause fecal leak constantly?

Question
I AM TAKING NORVASC, COREG AND CRESTOR AND I HAVE SLIGHT FECAL COMING OUT AND STAINING MY UNDERWEAR. IS THIS FROM THESE MEDS I AM TAKING? I HAVE TO WIPE MY BEHIND 2 OR 3 TIMES ADAY AND THERE IS STAINING
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 4 hours later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your query.

I do not think that any of your medications are directly responsible for your soiling yourself as you describe. But any one of them could be indirectly responsible.

A side effect of many medications is constipation. Prolonged constipation can lead to obstipation or impaction and this in turn can lead to overflow incontinence of stool as you describe.

This is just a thought and you will need to discuss this further with your own doctor as it needs clinical examination as well to rule out any local pathology. But it may be your best first line of enquiry.

I hope that this helps you. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Regards.