Taking norethisterone to delay periods. Getting severe periodic cramps. Is this normal?

I started taking norethisterone tablets 4 days ago to delay my period whilst i go on holiday this week. I was due to start my period today. Although I have not started bleeding at all i have had very bad period pains like i would of done normally. Will these continue untill i finish taking the tablets which is for another 10 days. In other words untill I have my period or will They stop. I normally only get pains for the first day or so of my period. I also take mefenamic acid tablets so can i take these as well and will they help even though there is no blood.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

Norethisterone contains the hormone progesterone which would normally be responsible for building up the lining of the uterus, its levels normally drop before the period starts.This is how it works to delay the period.
One of the possible side effects of the medication is abdominal pain which may be contributing to the pain that you are experiencing.

The pain will not likely last 10 days (it should abate in a few days ) and the mefenamic acid will help to relieve it, even though it is primarily used for period pain , it is indicated for use in other pain conditions.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions