Taking norethisterone tablets. How long will it be safe to take?

Mar 2016

Is it safe to take norethisterone tablets for more than 12 days?

Also, are 2 tablets a day enough to delay a period?

My email address is: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 16 minutes later

If you are not on any other contraceptive pill, then you can take norethisterone tablet as long as you want to delay your period.

You should take Norethisterone tab 5mg thrice daily, commencing 3 days prior to due date. After you stop taking that tablet, you will get your period within 5-7 days.

Some side effects like nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramp, irregular spotting, breast tenderness may develop in next cycle if you continue above medication for long time.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Taking norethisterone tablets. How long will it be safe to take? 2 minutes later
Thank you for your help

I am not taking any contraceptive pill. My doctor has advised me to to take 2 tablets every day a week before my period is due to delay my bleeding. Will the tablets still work if i take them this way?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 12 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Recommended guideline is Norethisterone tab 5mg thrice daily to be taken at least 3 days prior to period due date.

If your doctor has prescribed above, you can follow that. It also works in same way as like as standard protocol.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself. Good luck.

Dr Soumen