Taking norethisterone. Having pain in the legs and joints. Due to medicine?

Hi, I am on norethisterone for 10 days, 5mg bd for Endo. For the last 4 days i have had painful legs especially in the joints at night..since yesterday I have very strong bruise like pain in a large area of inner thigh but nothing visible on the surface- are they (the hormone )and pain related ?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The pain in the legs and joints that you have described is likely to be related to the hormonal pills that you are taking. This is more commonly seen in obese individuals with hypertension.
If there is any visible bruise anywhere on your body without any history of injury then you must consult your gynecologist to rule out any bleeding disorders after proper investigations.
All the side effects that you are having are mild and self limiting. These usually subside after you stop taking the pills. Do consult your gynecologist in case the pain is severe and persistent or is associated with any swelling in the legs to rule out any thromboembolism.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Taking norethisterone. Having pain in the legs and joints. Due to medicine? 3 hours later
It is Saturday in here in new Zealand, and even with analgesia and ibuprofen the pain in my thigh is not settling. Should I cease the norethisterone until Monday when I can see my General Practitioner?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
If your pain is unbearable and is not responding to ibuprofen then you can stop taking the pills but these can cause you to have a withdrawal bleeding in next 3-4 days.
Do consult an emergency room if the pain is severe.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.