Taking norethindrone and had unprotected sex. Any suggestion?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hi i had unprotected sex sunday evening and monday morning. i took norethendrone 5g prior to having sex on sunday (morning and afternoon) and a third dose later that evening (total 3 pils in a 24 hour period). i then continued with two pills the next day and 1 the last day (Tuesday). i am worried that this will not suffice as ec.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 49 minutes later
Ideally Two types of birth control pills have been well researched in clinical trials for their use as emergency contraception. The first contains levonorgestrel, a form of the female hormone progesterone; they are often called “progestin-only” or “mini” pills. The second contains levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol, a form of the female hormone estrogen; they are often referred to as “combined” pills.
Though norethindrone (2 mg)along with ethinyl estradiol can be considered as a alternative EC but it's efficacy is 60% as compared to 89% in the standard ECs( levonorgestrel ones).
So yes there are chances or a risk of pregnancy if you havent taken a combined pill and a norethindrone only .
Recent studies show that EC can still be effective if taken within 120 hours of unprotected intercourse . In case it's already more than 120 hours post your intercourse it's advisable to consult your gynaecologist for further management .
If you are within the time frame then then you can still take a levonorgestrel based emergency contraceptive ( plan B or next choice etc) .
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if you have any further queries.
Follow-up: Taking norethindrone and had unprotected sex. Any suggestion? 40 minutes later
ok. i have a course of yaz that i have not used. can i use this as ec? if not can i obtain plan b from the pharmacy without a rx? i currently do not have health ins. thank you
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
It would be better if you take plan B or similar over the counter emergency contraceptive from your pharmacist which can be taken without prescription.
However if it's not feasible in your vicinity you can take 2 tablets of yaz and repeat the same after 12 hours.As I already mentioned the risk of pregnancy increases with less effective pills or delaying the time of starting EC.
I understand your concern , but please don't worry most emergency contraceptives are available online or in pharmacy without prescription.