Taking nitrofurantoin for a urinary infection. Suffer from RA, having tightness and pain across chest

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
My wife is taking nitrofurantoin for a urinary infection. She suffers from ra and is on other drugs too. She has been feeling really bad this last day or 2. Tightness acrross her chest and some pain there. She is in bed and says her feet are cold and she never has cold feet. I felt them and they seem to be not cold. I am worried that her heart may give out. She is 75
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 57 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

The symptoms of a urinary infection can make you feel very ill before any treatment starts to take effect. Nitrofurantoin is a drug commonly used to treat urinary infections. The side-effects include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Less common reactions include fever and chills. These side-effects can be more common in the elderly.

I think that your wife may be suffering some of these side-effects which is why she has been feeling so ill over the last 2 days. This would explain why she feels her feet are cold but when you feel them, they are not cold.

The tightness in her chest could just be a symptom of the generalised illness that the infection has caused.

At this stage I would recommend she stays in bed if she continues to feel like this. She should continue with the nitrofurantoin. Don't worry if her urine appears brownish in colour. This is also a side-effect of the drug. If she has not improved in 2 to 3 days then a visit to your doctor would be appropriate.
This would be the most likely explanation for her current symptoms rather than a primary heart problem.

I hope this has been of help to you. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Follow-up: Taking nitrofurantoin for a urinary infection. Suffer from RA, having tightness and pain across chest 16 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX We accept your answer. There is just one pill to take out of the 20 and she is not going to take it. She is feeling better today. XXXXXXX Simmonds
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 5 hours later
Dear Mr Simmonds,
I am pleased to hear your wife is now feeling better.

Dr K A Pottinger