Taking nexium for reflux. Having the feeling of barbs on the side of throat. Any relief?

ENT Specialist
My daughter has the feeling of barbs on the left side of her throat. She is under the care of our local GP symptoms have persisted over two weeks. She has also been taking Nexium over a number of years to control her reflux
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to H.C.m. for your query.

I hve gone through your query regarding feeling of barbs on the left side of her throat for last two weeks, though she is taking treatment from her family doctor but problem is still persistng, she is taking nexium for last few years to control her reflux.

Considering all aspects of clinical history it appears as there is something in her throat for this abnorma feeling. to rule out this she is advice these investigations-

(1) C.T.scan of paranasal sinuses- To rule out any focus of infection in sinuses which may cause post nasal drip and thus developing pharyngitis. This pharyngitis is also gives same feeling in throat.

(2) Culture and sensitiviyi of throat swab- To confrm any infection in throat, if infection is there than which antibiotic will be most effective.

(3) Direct Laryngoscopy- To see any abnormality directly.

I hope above work will fulfill the job and your daughter will be treated in right way.

With Regards.