Taking nexium for gastritis and hiatus hernia. Feeling bloated. Looking for proper cure

Question
I AM BEING TREATED WITH GASTRITIS AND HIATUS HERNIA HAD SCOPE NO PYLORI, BEING ON NEXIUM 4 WKS SEEMS WORSE GET SO BLOATED BATTLING TO EAT OR DRINK EVEN MOVING AROUND FEELS LIKE A XXXXXXX MOVING AROUND
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hi.

Thank you for your query.

I understand this can lead to a lot of discomfort. Let us first work on understanding your condition: if Helicobacter pylori has been ruled out, you most probably have gastritis type A. Unfortunately the treatment for this is only the use of medication that reduces gastric acid production (like nexium-esomeprazole). This should be taken one hour before meals, it should not be crushed or chewed; but eaten whole. You could consult your doctor for an increase in dosage or change in the medication. Nexium can be taken in 20 mg, 40 mg, 60 mg dosages as per the doctors instructions. If treatment with medication does not help, surgery is considered.

Also, lifestyle modification (timings for meals, diet, exercise, sleep, etc.) plays a vital role in controlling symptoms of gastritis. Consult your doctor regarding the same. A few other suggestions:
-Eat slowly
-Avoid chewing gum
-Avoid carbonated drinks or food that can cause gas
-Chew your food well
-Drink lots of water
-Small and regular meals
-Avoid candy, alcohol, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)

Feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be glad to help you in the most elaborate way possible.

Best wishes.