Taking narcotics for back pain. Cannot take Celebrex due to side effects. What should I do?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I am taking narcotics for back pain but generic librax seems to work just as well. however drs. are lothe to prescribe gen.librax. what should I do? back pain is thought to be arthritis but can't take Celebrex because of side effects. I do not have any intestinal blockages.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 41 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
There are drug and non-drug methods of managing back pain. In addition to your current drugs you could add paracetamol. Also, benzodiazepines may have something to offer. These are not pain killers as such but have muscle relaxation properties that may relieve any spasm in your back. Amitriptyline can be effective in some forms of back pain.
Non-drug suggestions would be hot or cold packs applied to the area. Exercise such as walking, swimming or yoga could help. A physiotherapist could advise you on appropriate exercises to strengthen your back muscles. A TENS machine or acupuncture may also help.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger