Taking miralax for constipation. Getting headache, tightness in chest and have asthma. Prognosis?

General Surgeon
HI, i have been experience some issues that i think are gastrointestinal in nature. I am very constipated despite eating normally and i have been taking miralax for 3 days with little success. I have also been having some 'aches and pains' in my bowel/intestinal area. primarily on the left side. These are not severe in nature and come and go. I have had some tightness in my left chest but i have asthma and can't tell if it is related or not. I also have a dull headache under/behind my left ear.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 41 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Left side abdominal pain especially in the lower abdomen can be caused by large intestine diverticlitis. This condition is strongly associated with constipations. Such pain can come and go depending of the stool presence in the area where the diverticles are.
Left abdominal pain can also appear due to urinary tract inflammation (frequent urinating and burning while urinating appears), ovarian cyst, ovarian inflammation.
It is advisable to have abdominal ultrasound, full blood work (if WBC and CRP will be elevated, inflammation is present), urine analysis. Fecal occult blood test is also advisable.
Tightness in chest especially on the left side should be always checked with heart condition. Such heart ischeamic pains usually radiate to the left arm, left jaw or even left ear. It is advisable in such case to have heart ECG performed, stress test, 24 hours Holters ECG and heart ultrasound.
As you do have asthma, there is a great possibility that you have also acid reflux disease as this two diseases very often appear together. GERD gives chest burning after a meal, especially fatty food, chocolate, fruit juices, alcohol. Upper GI endoscopy should be performed if such symptoms are present.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.