Taking microgynon. Started bleeding. Prescribed norethisterone. Start taking new medicine?

I am currently taking microgynon and have never had any problems. However this pack after day 7 I started bleeding and have now continued bleeding for 8days. I spoke to my doctor and he prescribed norethisterone. I am unsure if I take this for the remainder of my pill pack and then stop or if I keep taking it when I have finished the pill pack.
I am then wondering if I should not take another pill pack after the 7 pill free days??

Thanks! I am a little concerned about all this!!
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
For the irregular bleeding that you had during your periods, your doctor prescribed you norethisterone tablets. You need to take both the contraceptive pills and norethisterone pills simultaneously now. Then during the 7 day pill free period stop both the pills and you will have withdrawal bleeding. After the 7 days, you can start with the next pack of contraceptive pills.
Such breakthrough bleeding is occasionally seen while taking oral contraceptives. So, please do not worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.