Taking mextxl and novastat for hypertension. Had liver function test. Should I be worried about SGPT level?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hello Doctor, I have started medication from 25 January 2013 for Hypertension and cholestral under the prescription(mextxl,pinom-h 20 and novastat) of the doctor . I have recently gone through some tests as my doctor asked to go through Lipid profile test and other tests.I have few questions regarding that. Total cholestral is showing- 210 mg%( normal range 125-200) LDLCholestral-Direct -136 mg% (normal range 85-100) Liver prof -Alanine Transaminase(SGPT)-45.3 U/I( normal range 13 to 40) And other values in Hemogram are showing some values greater than normal. I have visited my doctor today and he advised me to go on conitnuing the medicines and increased the dosage of Novastat 20 to 40 mg and aske dme to see after one month after following diet and exercise and reduce weight. Then he will look after reducing medicines or reducng power of few medicines. I am attaching my prescriptions and lab reports to this query so please review and advise me whether1) Is there any issue with my SGPT (liver ) or do I need to go any more tests on that . 2) If I go on good exercise and good diet Is there any possibility to reduce my medicines or need to take life long 3)For SGPT increase in value is ther any chance that my medication I ma taking is affecting it. 4)And the medicines I am currenlty using or accurate ? Any suggestions /recommendations for reducing my problems speciifed above.Please help me with that
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Thing look good and appropriate Detailed Answer: I assure you that you have been given a right advice. Now coming to your queries 1. At the present level its not a problem and you don't need to do any further tests other rechecking your liver enzymes SGOT and SGPT after 2-3weeks 2.Yes with good life style your medicines can definately be reduced if not eliminated all togather. Many of our patient achieve more than 50% reduction in medication requirement by diet and exercise 3. The alteration is to little to be labelled as drug side effect thouught statins are known to causee liver injury, at this stage it doesnt look like drug effect though we need to monitor as mentioned in point number 1 4.yes you are on accurate medicines
Follow-up: Taking mextxl and novastat for hypertension. Had liver function test. Should I be worried about SGPT level? 32 minutes later
Thank you Sir.I have one more question . Actually my doctor prescribed me to take Pinom h in the morning and rest two in the night time. 1)If i missed any drug at particlular time by mistake when I need to take it .Both Pinomh and mextxl at a time or shall I drop it for that day. 2) I hope that you have probably went through my past lab reports .Is there any issue with my heart isses like enlargement or any other issues. 3) I want to consult dietician ,so please tell what and all things technically I need to reveal them for recommending particular food . Once again thank you very much sir for providing your valuable feedback.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 12 hours later
Brief Answer: As soon as you remember Detailed Answer: 1. General advice is if you miss dose of antihypertensive medicine, take it as soon as you remember and other medicines as scheduled. Only thing is if you remember it very near to next dose requirement then next dose of same medicine may be skipped. (say it's less than 4-5hrs). Combining with others medicines doesn't matter. 2. Reports don't show any major abnormality 3. Just have to tell dietician about your reports and couple other things like height weight and waist circumference they will take. You might be asked certain questions which you need to answer. Hope I have cleared all your doubts. Please close this discussion if you have no more follow-up. Regards