Ask a Dentist   »  

Taking metronidazole for a bacterial infection. Swollen taste buds on back of tongue. Any thoughts?

I recently noticed that the taste buds on the back of my tongue are swollen. It feels like there is something stuck on my tongue back there and it kind of tingles. I am currently on my 8th day of a 10 days cycle of metronidazole for a bacterial infection. Its really weird and I am wondering if you have any thoughts?
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 20 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

These can side effects of metronidazole.Metronidazole is known to cause oral symptoms like dry mouth,metallic taste, oral mucosal irritation and white coating of tongue etc.Something stuck is feeling due to irritation.These side effects are likely to cause you these symptoms.This should not be a major concern as once course is complete these symptoms will ware off.

Hope this answers your question.