Taking metoprolol for high blood pressure. Trying to get pregnant. Should I stop taking metoprolol?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
I have recently been prescribed with metoprolol for situational high blood pressure.
I am currently trying to get pregnant. My question is -- Is it safe to take metoprolol when you are trying to get pregnant and is it safe to take metoprolol when you are pregnant?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 49 minutes later
It is important for you to inform your doctor that you are trying to get pregnant while on Metoprolol.
As long as you are not pregnant its safe to take Metoprolol but it should not be taken during pregnancy. Since one can routinely know about the pregnant state once you have missed your period, this means that for about 2 weeks after ovulation and 1 week after implantation of the embryo in the wall of the uterus, the embryo is exposed to this drug. Therefore, if you are pregnant or even trying to get pregnant, one should not be on Metoprolol.

These above statements are not absolute, however. If your doctor decides that the benefits are more important than the risks, Metoprolol MAY be taken in the pre-pregnant and pregnant state.

Metoprolol comes under the category of FDA Pregnancy Category C. This means that it has been studied in animal pregnancies - found to have more abortions but no effect on fertility or malformations in the animal fetus. There are no human studies but results from animal studies can be extrapolated. Single cases have been reported in human pregnancy and these have shown no problems. Until there are more studies in humans, its better to be cautious.
I hope this answers your query.
Take care and keep your doctor in the loop about your desire to get pregnant while on Metoprolol.
Dr Nirja Chawla