Taking metoporal. Been feeling sick in stomach. Why do I have fainting feeling and racing heart?

I take 25 mg of Metoporal and I have been feeling slightly sick at my stomach like I might need to throw up but I have a very strong stomach and can eat anything but a lot of grease. Sometimes I feel like I will pass out and it only last for a few seconds and then I am fine. I have had a calcium test and it was between 35 and 40 (can't remember exactly.) I have had a stress test and my Dr. said it was OK. Why do I keep having these feelings. Heart trouble and strokes and diabetes are in my family. I never had fast heartrate or skipped beats until I went through an early change at 42. I am 70 years old and the only med. I take is natural hormones and the 25 metroporal. I am a happy person and just try to ignore the spells because I figure if I have had them since 42 that it's probably not serious but still not right. Thank you very much!
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 4 hours later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question.. I will do my best to help you.

You are getting these fainting feelings because you are taking Metoprolol. This is lowering your already low blood pressure and giving you this"postural hypotension". I bet you notice it most when you stand up from lying or sitting.

This beta-blocker is not working - not stopping your tachycardia but giving you very unpleasant side effects. Discuss this with your doctor and stay healthy.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.