Taking methadone for chronic pain. What is the dosage to be taken?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
yes I take 100mgs of methadone a day for chronic pain what's the XXXXXXX and is there anything better out there?
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are near maximum dose ,do not increase dose

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,
I have studied your case with diligence.

Clinical stability methadone is achieved at doses between 80 to 120 mg/day. So you are already towards maximum tolerated dose so do not increase more.

Other analgesic that may be beneficial include
Buprenorphine . Buprenorphine is available as a sublingual or transdermal patch.
Another analgesic Oxytrex (oxycodone + ultra-low-dose
naltrexone) is a new opioid drug candidate shown here to minimize the adverse effects of long-term opioid therapy, including physical dependence.
You need to consult your doctor before starting it.

You can take epidural steroid shots to reduce pain.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.