Taking methadone. Started having fluid retention on feet, ankles and below knee. Side effect?

Feb 2013

I'm currently a consumer at a local methadone clinic and have been for approximately 3 years. My daily dose is 200 mg. a day. I have started retaining fluids on my feet, ankles and legs below the knee on both legs which started over a year ago. Is this a side effect oof the methadone? I do not have heart problems, etc.,work full time, heavy construction.
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 40 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The swelling of legs due to fluid retention is called edema of dependent parts.

It is observed in persons with prolonged standing and in long journeys and it is normal in this situations in otherwise healthy persons. And this is transient and subsides within no time.

Fluid retention and edematous swelling of the legs is noted with immediately or after the long term use of the drug methadone.

But the other causes of fluid retention and persistent edema like kidney dysfunction, cardiac dysfunction, and the thyroid dysfunction have to be ruled out by the proper examination and investigations by a General Physician.

Therefore I advise you to consult the Physician for the examination of your systems and ordering investigations to evaluate the causes for the fluid retention and swelling of legs.

At the same time you can take medical advise regarding the continuation of the drug methadone.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.