Taking metforrmin and glypicide for diabetes and on controlled diet. Why is blood sugar not under control?

Hi, I am a 59 yr old white male with type 2 diabetes. I am currently taking metformin 1000mg and glypicide 10 mg in the morning before breakfast and in the evening before dinner I take metformin 1000 mg and glypicide 5 mgs. My morning blood glucose readings are 139 (averages) before breakfast and 180-220 (average) two hours after breakfast. For breakfast I normally have a cup of cheerios and a half cup of very berry granola, along with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of almond milk and a cup of black coffee. Probably totaling about 48 carbs at breakfast. I do not drink alcohol often and occasionally have a cigarette. Any comments on why my blood sugars don't come down to normal ranges after two hours? Thank you. G
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 1 hour later
Brief Answer: needs third group of drugs Detailed Answer: Dear sir Welcome to healthcare magic As per your current history and medication you are taking around Metformin- 2000 mg per day Glipizide- 15 mg Your fasting blood sugars and post Prandial blood sugars are not well controlled up to the mark of American diabetes association guidelines. That is fasting below 126 and post Prandial below 180 mg. Your diet intake has not got any problems. Smoking should be strictly stopped and alcohol in small quantities is permitted but not advisable. If you really want to bring down post Prandial sugars then you need to add third group of tablets containing lalpha glucosidase inhibitors such as acarbose or miglitol. These drugs control post prandial blood sugars. I would add one of the two drugs in required quantities for better sugar control. Discuss with your treating doctor. Meanwhile continue your diet control and exercise. Hope this information is helpful Thanks