Taking metformin. Getting swollen lymph nodes. Suggest medication?

I started taking metformin about three months ago and have started getting swollen lymph nodes that come and go. Is it the medication or something?
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need further physical,lab exams...

Detailed Answer:

I have read your concern carefully, and I would say that I could not find any study referring swollen lymph nodes related to metformin use. However, I cannot exclude such side effect.

It is important to do a proper determination of your swollen lymph-nodes:

- you are referring that they come and go - I'd ask if you experience flu-like or common cold-like symptoms when they come? Most probably viral infections are to blame.

- If they are persistent and grow in size and give you pain, if I were your caring doctor would ask to consult an ENT specialist and to perform the complete blood profile test.

Hope it answered to your inquiry!

p.s. if you have other concern, do not hesitate to write back to me!