Taking medicine to cure IBS. Are the prescribed medicine right?

Can IBS be cured and is the current medication right?....
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Before I answer your query let me tell you what is IBS a symptom-based diagnosis characterized by chronic abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating, and alteration of bowel habits in which diarrhea or constipation predominates.

1)     It may not be cured completely, but can almost always control in most of the cases.

2)Your drugs are good one for IBS, belong to Anti depressant and musculotropic antispasmodic drug devoid of side effects.

In this, it is important to investigate and not to miss any diagnosis which is infection, malignancy or Malabsorption etc.

I am sure you must have been investigated completely before taking specific treatment for IBS.

You have lost weight please take care of diet as otherwise it will cause nutritional deficiencies.

In many patients, prebiotics and pro biotic supplementation helps a lot.
Usually we ask to avoid refined sugar and milk, which can test for lactose intolerance, fiber in diet usually, helps, even giving psyllium /ispagula husk.
Regular exercise, yoga, meditation or tai chi, may help to keep fit and symptom free.
Please get your periodic check up to monitor your health.
Hope this information helps you, if you have any further query please ask and I will be available to help you.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Taking medicine to cure IBS. Are the prescribed medicine right? 31 minutes later
I am also having this helpful or vizylac is better?.......also note that now a days its soft for some days then it becomes hard and then a stomach upset this is a wait and watch approach....also please confirm will prothiaden 75 is better......
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 58 minutes later
Thanks for your input,
Yes VSL is good preparation and please continue to use it as advised by your physician.
Dietary advice should include restriction on items known to aggravate symptoms. Thus, milk and spicy food may need to be restricted in those with diarrhea.
Milk, legumes and cabbage in those with gas bloat, eliminating meat from the diet helps many patients having IBS of gas and bloating of abdomen.
Amitryn and prothiadin both belongs to TCA (Tricyclic anti depressant) class and both are equally good and choice depends on tolerability and advice from treating physician.
Please take care of yourself.
If you have any doubt please ask, I will be happy to help you.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.