Taking medicine for type 2 diabetes. Having leg pain. How to avoid this problem?

Dear Sir,
My brief details are as under:--

Diabetic (Type -II)       - 22 Years
BP            - 12 Years

•     Vegetarian
•     Non-smoker
•     Non-alcoholic
•     Age – 54 Years
•     Weight 80 Kg
•     Height 176 CM

I am taking insulin & medicines as advised and my sugar level normally will be around 160 –200. My present problem is my leg pain, all these days I was thinking my leg pain is mainly due to diabetic neuropathy. But now I understood from my foot maker that, it is not purely on diabetic & may be due other foot problem like flat foot etc and if identify the actual reason & use the proper shoe, I may get good relief from the pain.

As such I am sending my foot impression which taken during my annual check-up for your kind advice and I wish to mention my problems are as follows:-

1)     Normally I get more pain on left leg and that too very much on HEEL portion only and this heel pain leads to Back Pain also. This pain will come only due to my morning walk and if I am not going for walk, I may not feel so much pain in HEEL area.

2)     Based on the foot pressure report, can you advise me whether I have normal leg, flat leg or so and which is suitable or particular sport shoe to use for morning walk.

Thanks and regards,
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
i have seen your foot prints and they are suggestive of no anomaly, they are within normal appearance but they can not rule out local problems like Plantar fasciitis or Heel pad inflammation.
A local examination and elicitation of pain pattern by the local physician may be further helpful in confirming the diagnosis.
It seems you have a problem unrelated to neuropathy.
You can use the Heel cushion of good quality in the shoes to reduce local pressure at your heels so to reduce the inflammation there, they are highly effective when used regularly and need to be used for months. A relief by them is diagnostic and therapeutic for heel pad inflammation.
You should reduce weight I think 5kg in a year would be a good target.
You can use tab. Ultracet twice a day till you get relief by using the Heel cushion.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!