Taking medicine for type 1 diabetes. How to get relief from pain and itching in eyes?

I am a diabetic type 1 and I am in medication from 6 months .I use to work in front in front of system for minimum 6 hours. Nowadays my left eye will be vibrating for few minutes ,itchches and it pains. can you suggest some medication.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 27 hours later

You have a condition called computer vision syndrome(CVS).

There is no single magic remedy for this problem. Following set of measures can be undertaken together to get relief:

Proper Visual Hygiene

Monitor should be placed about 2-3 feet from the eyes (or at the farthest comfortable distance).

Do not gaze constantly at the monitor for long duration. Take your eyes off the screen every 5-10 minutes.

Every half an hour or so close your eyes for 1-2 minutes to give them rest.

Every hour or so take a 5 minutes break (go for a stroll or run some errand).

Make a conscious effort to blink more frequently. Avoid sitting in front of an air conditioner facing its air draft while working on computer.

Convergence Exercises

Regular eye exercise can help prevent the problems caused by working on computers or even heavy reading or writing work. These exercises are advised for all computer professionals, students, office workers, etc.

Sit on a chair upright and look at a far off small object.

Then hold out a pen at level with your eyes at an arm's length and look at its tip.

Gradually bring the pen close to your eyes to a point where you feel a mild strain on your eyes. The tip of the pen should remain clear and single in appearance. Hold the pen in this position for about half a minute and then again gradually take it back to an arms length. Hold it here again for about half a minute, and then again bring the pen close to your eyes.

Repeat above step 10 times and then again look the far off small object. Again repeat the whole sequence.

In the beginning this exercise should be done for 5-10 minutes just once a day in the morning at a time when you are fresh and rested. After one week it should be increased to twice daily and after two weeks thrice a day. Avoid doing the exercise when you are tired or are having pain in eyes or headache. In the initial period when you begin exercising the pain in the eyes and headache may increase, but this should not discourage you. As you continue the exercise you will gradually feel relief from the symptoms over 2-3 weeks.

Continue the exercise for 2 months to build good eye muscle strength and reserves power.

Lubricant Eye Drops

Lubricant eye drops instilled 3-4 times a day help in soothing the eyes and relieving irritation and redness. Many preparations are available in the market e.g. Tears Plus, Hypotears Plus, Moss, Moisol, etc.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah