Taking medicine for throat infection. Reduced hearing and found water in ear. Any solution?

ENT Specialist

My Mom was suffering from throat infection and i believe that caused her some trouble in hearing also. It has been 10 days now that she is on prescribed medicine from doctor but her hearing is stillb a problem. She took a normal course of Antibiotics and Nasal drops . Her Throat infection has subsided but hearing is still a problem . We visited ENT Specialist and there is no Wax in year what he says that there is water in her ear ( Sinus ) and suggested to take vapors. She is not feeling any difference even after the suggested course. Please advice what is the next course of action
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 43 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

Reduced hearing following an upper due to blocking of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).

With the present medications her problems will not improve. My suggestions to her are:
1. Let her continue with advent and complete the course of 10 days.
2. Use saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day, followed by steam inhalation.
3. She should take a mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol this will help in thinning down the secretions and clearing of the middle ear.
4. Also, she should drink plenty of warm water.
5. Avoid coffee/chilled food and beverages till she recovers.
6. Let her follow all these measures for another one week. If she does not feel better with the above medications she should get tympanometry and pure tone audiometry done to assess the amount of hearing and the status of the middle ear.
7. Finally, she should not use xyzal, otrivin and solvin, as these medicines will further worsen her problems.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Taking medicine for throat infection. Reduced hearing and found water in ear. Any solution? 1 hour later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for your quick response on that. Just want a clarification :

as suggested in point 2 Use Saline Nasal spray.. what is that Saline Nasal spray we can use please suggest.. currently she is using Otrivin which i am going to discontinue immediately as mentioned in your point 7.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back

Saline nasal spray is plain salt water in the concentration of normal body constituents. It is very beneficial, because it keeps the nasal mucosa moist and helps in easy clearing of the mucus. It is a wonderful decongestant.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT any Head & Neck Surgeon