Taking medicine for rhinitis and asthma. Feeling drowsy and occasional nose bleed. Side effect?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
Hi I have Rhinitis and Asthma from past 11 years. Currently I am taking foracort 100 twice 2 puffs each and Duonase nasal spray once daily from past 3 yrs. My wheezing and rhinitis is under control, however I am feeling extremely drowsy and occasional nose bleeds. I'm not sure if that could be possible side effects of Duonase. Is there any alternative for this medication.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Thank you for posting a question.

Look, the Duonase you are using contains azelastine group of drug which has a side effect of nose bleeding. As you are using it for last 3 years, you may have developed it. It is obvious.

But, you have to be examined clinically to rule out any other cause of epistaxis which may be caused by many conditions.

So, right now, you have to stop the duonase. Then, you should consult with your treating doctor about another drug like xylometazoline. It has less side effects. But, I think, you should consult with your treating doctor about stopping the drug for some period. It would be better for you. After that if you really need again any nasal decongestant, you should take the drug I have mentioned.

Lastly, stop duonase, then, consult with your treating doctor or ENT specialist for clinical examination and also about the points I have mentioned.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Taking medicine for rhinitis and asthma. Feeling drowsy and occasional nose bleed. Side effect? 1 hour later
Thanks doctor. I would consult my treating pulmonologist.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 47 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Ok. You should consult with pulmonologist.

If you do not have any more question, you can close this discussion. Rating and review given by you will be appreciated.

Regards.