Taking medicine for peroneal nerve damage in feet. Should I go for surgery for pain and numbness?

General Surgeon
I was electrocuted last April and the electricity exited both of my feet and I now have peroneal nerve damage in bothof my feet. THe doctors have me on 4 medications for it which are not working, Is there a surgical procedure that can help the pain and numbness
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 47 minutes later

I would like you to try medical treatment for relieving neuralgic pain like Gabapentin / Pregabalin. There is very little one can do for numbness once the nerve is totally damaged.

You can also try nerve growth stimulants like neurobion etc., but post electric injury of nerve their chances of showing responses are bleak.

Nerve repair surgery is technically demanding procedure however shall be tried if you have any motor deficit. Just, to relieve numbness, personally I don't think surgery would help much.

Dr Rajat Gupta
Follow-up: Taking medicine for peroneal nerve damage in feet. Should I go for surgery for pain and numbness? 21 hours later
THanks for responding, I have been on Gabapentin and now on Cymbalta and Nortriptyine but still have the pain and numbness, also there are many times when I am walking and the foot goes dead and I have fallen several times. My Neurologist are at wits end about what to do and I am tired of taking medications
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 24 hours later
Thanks for the revert.

Continuing to take Gabapentin will help you. Cymbalta, to an extent. Physiotherapy might help as well.

Speak to your treating doctor about these.