Taking medicine for parkinson's disease. Not getting cured. Proper treatment?

Excellent
Question
i am suffering from parikinsons disease(immobility stiffness and sudden freezing)and taking the following medicines syndopa plus every 2hrs pramipex .5 mg 1-0-1 bcrip2.5mg 1-0-1 ativan 1 mg 0-0-1 my condition is detiorating every day with no zest
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 46 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I will like to know the duration of effect of the syndopa, the on- off time, any memory problem and problem in sleep etc so as to guide you better. There are various types of parkinson's diseases. If it is a typical one, it responds better to medications. If medications fail, other options are XXXXXXX brain stimulation.

Please get back to me with the above answers to guide you better.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Taking medicine for parkinson's disease. Not getting cured. Proper treatment? 30 minutes later
syndopa acts for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs with lot of body movement and my own effort like throwing a ball or frisbee. my memory is very good . i get about 3 to 4hrs of sleep. what is XXXXXXX brain stimulation can you suggest me a hospital in chennai where it is done and doctor ref

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

I have noted your problem

The movements that you have described are called as dyskinesia which suggest that further alteration of medications may not help much. I suggest you to get evaluated by an expert in the field of movement disorder specialization rather than a general neurologist.

The best centres which perform XXXXXXX brain stimulation in India are the Sree XXXXXXX tirunal institute for medical sciences and technology, under govt of India, located in Trivandrum. Other centres are NIMHANS, Bangalore, NIZAMS Institute, Hyderebad. Chennai has no such centres yet.
XXXXXXX brain stimulation is a process where special electrode will be kept in the brain to stimulate it. This will resolve the parkinsonian symptoms greatly. You can check the web site Sree XXXXXXX Tirunal Institute and can contact Dr Syam or Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX in emails. The need for such procedure will be determined after consulting a movement disorder specialist. If needed please get this procedure done in one of the established centres. I discussed with a neurologist from Chennai and got the information that no such centres are available in Chennai.

I hope that this will help you. I will be available for further guidance.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Taking medicine for parkinson's disease. Not getting cured. Proper treatment? 2 hours later
thks a tonne doc i have one more quest pl suggest me a movement disorder specialist in chennai who can evaluate my case

You are welcome.

You can XXXXXXX Dr. K. XXXXXXX Jeyaraj either at Stanly Medical College or at Fortis Malar hospital

Best wishes

If you do not have any more queries, please close this discussion and review.