Taking medicine for osteropenia. Scan showed osteoporosis in hip. What is causing this?

33 year old husband was dx with osteropenia last year just by chance( our doctor has a bone density scanner in the office so she offers everyone to have one done). He just had his yearly scan and it showed he has -2.45 osteoporosis in his hip now despite taking extra calcium and Vitamin D. Doctor checked his TSH, T3, T4 and all were normal. Testosterone levels are also normal. What could be causing this at his young age??
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 26 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Was vitamin D level checked in his case? Was it too low?
It can cause osteoporosis.

There have been reported associations between psoriasis and osteoporosis / osteopenia 9bone mineral loss) due to high levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines in Psoriasis.

Allegra is not known to commonly cause osteoporosis. Few reports of it in high dose occur.

Steroids used for allergies can cause it as does alcohol abuse.
Hyperparathyroidism and some endocrine disorders can cause it.

Please discuss this with your doctor. You may need additional evaluation for these causes.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!